Now that you have passed the state surplus lines licensing exam, what’s next? Follow the steps below to ensure you are complying with Florida Law.
We are here to serve you. If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800.562.4496, option 1.
STEP 1: Self Appointment
- Visit your MyProfile page on the Department of Financial Services (DFS) website and log in. Click on "Access eAppoint."
Note: If you have never used eAppoint, first register by selecting "Appointing Entity."
- Next click on "New Appointment" and follow the on-screen instructions to complete your self-appointment. There is a self-appointment fee associated with this process.
- Finally, please ensure that the agency through which you are conducting business holds a valid Florida agency license.
STEP 2: Register With FSLSO
- Next you must register through FSLSO's Surplus Lines Information Portal (SLIP). Failure to register with FSLSO as a Florida licensed surplus lines agent is a violation of F.S. 626.921.
- Register a new SLIP account. Once you are on the SLIP page click the "Register"button.
- A question will pop up that reads "Are you (or an individual in your office) a Florida licensed surplus lines agent (1-20 or 91-20)?" Answer "yes" to continue.
- Now, fill in the necessary information and click on "Register" at the bottom of the page.
- An FSLO representative will validate your account and contact you in 24-48 hours.
STEP 3: Stay In Compliance
- Self appointments must be renewed every two years during the agent’s birth month. This must be done through DFS’ MyProfile platform.
- All surplus lines transactions must be submitted to FSLSO via SLIP within 30 days of the effective date of coverage. This includes new business, renewals, and endorsements.
- All surplus lines agents that have transacted business during a calendar quarter must file an affidavit stating that all business transacted during said quarter was submitted to FSLSO. This must be done by the 45th day of the following quarter. Affidavits may also be filed in SLIP.
- For more information on staying compliant visit our Agent Procedures Manual.
Welcome New Agents
Congratulations on obtaining your surplus lines license and welcome to the Florida Surplus Lines Service Office (FSLSO). FSLSO serves the surplus lines community by providing a source of advice and counsel to agents, agency staff, and insurers. We are here to serve you in any way we can and have numerous tools to help you conduct business.